Wednesday, October 22, 2008

There are things growing in my compost!

After a three-day cold snap after Hurricane Norbert two weeks ago, we are back with beautiful autumn weather: highs in the 80s, lows in the 50s. Today I planted Bloomsdale Spinach, Detroit Red Beets and White Globe turnips in Bed #1 for a winter harvest.

As I added watered coffee grounds to the tin can we use as a compost pile, I noticed many seedlings growing. They are all cotyledons so I have no idea what they will be (green beans?), but for now I will let them be. There is nothing growing in the plastic bin we use as a compost container.

The stray tomatoes are now ripening. Kevin will use them in the chili this weekend. In the front yard we have Pineapple Sage in red bloom. The Iraqi acacias are all still doing well.

No comments: