Sunday, April 26, 2009

Strawberries!

I took two of last year's offspring and planted them in the old ammo box where a few days ago two younger strawberry plants somehow dried up. While doing so, I noticed that last year's plants have produced a few red fruit. YAY! That means I'll have enough fruit for tomorrow's cereal!


Kevin was busy the rest of the day clearing out the garden beds, planting more beets and turnips in straight rows and spreading steer manure. I can leave next month and know the gardens won't dry up. He's turned into a real farmer with little instruction on my part.

Kevin wants more potato plants, I want more strawberry plants. Can we find a middle ground? The Quinalt strawberries seem quite happy in foot-deep, crowded pots. Another thing we want to do is plant more green peppers. We use four a week; that would mean another 50 plants to satisfy our needs. Do we have the space for another row of potted plants? The peppers that were potted last year and which overwintered in the house thrived and grew new fruit faster than this year's plants.

No comments: