Sunday, November 1, 2009

Strange weather

Our two-day freeze has moved on to points further Northeast. We are back to day-time temps of 70s.

So, that made me assess the garden. The tomato plants that were sickly to begin with died, and I pulled them out. But a few are still hanging on. I brought three plants outside for the freeze; they are back outside on the southside of the home. One of them needs a bigger pot to expand its roots and I'll do that after I wash all the pillbugs from the soil. I enjoy having a tomato plant in my office. Am I the only one who likes the smell of tomato plants?

The high winds blew off most of the large leaves from the Paulownia tree, even though most were still green. Strawberries survived, as well as some peppers. Anything that still is alive will overwinter in the home for four months.

Our frontyard trees are still basically green. They won't show autumn foliage for three more weeks.

One of my mulberry trees shed its leaves but it's now growing new leaves at the tips. The younger tree still has its leaves.

As for the citrus, they too are growing new leaves. They, too will go inside soon.

The front yard still has quite a bit of color in it. I haven't been watering it much, but nothing's died from the frost.

No comments: