Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gone for a month, now come back to a green front

I spent a month in California hiking the High Sierras. I came back Saturday to fields of green, so green I can't remember it being this green in years. But the green beans I planted before leaving in early July didn't pop open as expected, and many weeds are inhabiting the backyard.

I transplanted my Iraqi acacia into a larger pot yesterday. My Chinese date tree is regrowing new shoots (which I will leave as be) and new perennials have grown. I pulled a bunch of dead Heliopsis, though, as after three years they have done their time. Whatever new will grow, will grow. In a few years the front yard will be a shaded oasis for the desert birds. I see a few new saplings coming up. Any new trees, however, may have to be sacrificed.

No comments: