Saturday, September 26, 2009

Hydroponics Workshop

Today I attended a free hydroponics workshop in town.

The main instructor was Jeffrey Ofstedahl from the Center for Academic Success, a public charter school in town. He teaches middle-school students science. He kept us all in awe with his enthusiasm.

Jim and Gary from the master Gardeners were also there. I also met a retired colonel who owns 1000 acres of ranchland right on the border. I chatted with him a bit. "Before the border was built we had about 1000 illegals a week. Now it's down to around 300" he said. He feeds his cows only grasses, nothing artificial is added to their diet. During the break he called his ranch to check on a cow that was due to drop her calf today. (She was still pregnant)

I picked up a lot of knowledge today from this workshop. Lunch was provided as well, although it was just a sandwich buffet with fake cheese and bologna; "school lunch food"

We even were given free seeds, and then were encouraged to take more as there were still many packets for the taking. I grabbed some turnips for Kevin and planted spinach when I got home.

The workshop was made possible through a $2,000 environmental education grant to the Nimon S. Hopkins Conservation Education Center from Southwest Wings that provided funding for the materials. Kelly Savage, a spirited woman I recognized from last year's Southwest Wings festival, was the co-instructor today.

My poor garden just looks so dead and dry this season. Kevin doesn't seem to water it daily like he used to. My strawberries are dying and I don't know why; they were still multiplying like crazy two weeks ago! I am still ahead of the game but all these dying plants in the garden look so sickly. We are still getting hot temperatures so we have at least another month of growing weather. http://www.svherald.com/articles/2009/09/27/news/doc4abf24c4c11bd434122976.txt

No comments: