Friday, September 11, 2009

It's a Texas Mountain Laurel!

The little sapling is a Texas Mountain Laurel. Two, in fact. And now there's a third sapling growing in the same area that may have to be transplanted. That seed must have been in the soil since last year as I don't remember planting any of those this year. They are not easy to grow, and the spot they are in is a stubborn spot for plants; a small rosebush five years ago died and the spot's been empty since.

The little horned toad that I keep seeing in the front yard had babies. I saw one little baby hop along the perimeter fence yesterday afternoon. I hope the little guy makes it into adulthood.

My tomatoes continue to rot on the vine. Green peppers are ripening, strawberries keep growing new runners and the garden's keeping me busy, but I must say that this year's harvest seems puny compared to last year.

My quine tree's leaves are starting to turn yellow, but so far that's the first sign of autumn approaching. The lantanas are still in bright bloom and spreading nicely. I should have at least one more month of color in the front yard.

I hope we get that rain tomorrow as forecasted. The oleander along the eastern fence are starting to show drought stress.

No comments: