Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Back in Arizona

It's been a long, freezing winter for the desert plants. Now that I am back in AZ I have a lot of pruning to do. My vines all suffered freeze death in parts and need to be cut back. The sages are doing well, and the lavenders are all showing new growth.

The healthier of the two trees is already budding, the smaller tree is still thinking about it. With each passing year the smaller tree is taking longer to bud; I don't think it will live much longer and need to start thinking of a replacement. Removing that tree could alter the plants underneath it, plants that have depended on partial shade all these summers.

My yards are infested with dandilions, the first time I can remember the yard having so many of them. Perhaps all the desert brooms I pulled last fall enabled the dandis to take over?

The three Texas Mountain Laurels are all doing well and survived the few freezing nights earlier this winter. They should make it now that the worst is over for them this first year.

I don't plan on planting new plants this season. I will replace some of the citrus trees but from here on out I will focus on the established plants from 2005 when I last planted the garden. Those plants that survived the dry summers will flourish and are more prone to do well with lack of water; I will no longer water my yard as before EXCEPT for the grey water from the shower.

Temperatures are expected to warm back into the 70s/40s by this weekend. If that persists I will start my tomatoe garden again, using coffee grounds as before that yielded such a bumper crop the first time I used coffee grounds.

My Master Gardener Course starts today, every Wednesday from 10-1pm through May. All that knowledge I will gain will help me better assist in my garden. I will use this journal as documentation.

No comments: