Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My second MG class

Today's class was all about plant phsiology and taught by PhD grad Rob who looked like a combination of Rob Reiner and the guru Andrew Weil with bald head and full grey beard. He was so knowledgable on plant make-up that it was intimidating. He spoke as if he was lecturing to a graduate-level class of botanists. The pre-test I had to take as new student during break didn't make me feel any better: I missed nine out of 20 and most dealt with plant make-up.

As soon as I got home I felt energized to gather as much dead leaves and start on a compost pile. Kevin had saved the vegetable cuttings from the weekend and I collected old leaves and fresh weeds for the rest, then dumped them all in the tin garbage pale in the back. In a few weeks I should have some fresh compost in this heat.

I removed as many dead plants from the front yard. I received six plants from High Country Gardens today which I will plant in the front yard tomorrow. I watered the fruit trees in the back with harvested water. One of the ruit trees is dead and will be replaced with a peach tree later during the monsoon season.

The back yard continues to be a haven for weeds. The best thing I can do is till the entire back yard one day with a rented tiller. That will require some dedication. Without a tiller I can't see the backyard to be cleared of all the love grass and dandelions.

No comments: