Saturday, March 29, 2008

My third MG Class

Last Wednesday's class was taught by "Turfman" Dave from New Jersey. We were warned that he tends to talk "about 50% facts and 50% fiction" and to not take him too seriously. As soon as he started the class, I knew why.

His Joisey accent had me in internal stiches and I thought he was a riot using graphic metaphors to get his point across. But that soon wore out fast, especially after he kept us past our usual 11:15am break and made us sit still until 11:45am.

"But my eyes are turning yellow!" I protested, referring to my full bladder reaching emergency capacity.

"Ok, we need to take a break here" Dave replied "to ease this emergency!" and I trotted to the restroom. As soon as I got out of the stall there were six other women in line.

Dave gave a great hands-on about the four basic grasses found in southern Arizona: Kentucky bluegrass, tall fescue, buffalo grass and short fescue.

The class was to end at 1:05pm but Dave kept us in the classroom until 1:40pm. Some people walked out due to other commitments, but the rest of us survived the ordeal. I was starving when we were finally released for the day. It was a very intense 3.5 hours about grasses.

No comments: