Monday, October 11, 2010

My Burpee blueberry plants have arrived

They were in a small package when we got back from a short hike. The package was not damaged and leaning against our front door. Each foot-tall plant was individually wrapped in packing paper. The roots were moist. Everything looked good.

I transplanted them shortly after dinner.

I was disappointed in the plants once I unpacked them . All six show brown spots on their leaves. Some of the leaves are dead. All the roots are crowded. I paid $12 per plant and was expecting healthy-looking plants like I am used to getting via High Country Gardens. Not so.

I packed each plant into its own five-gallon pot to give them space to grow. I hope they all survive the winter.

Another container (not a Burpee) held eight grubs near the bottom. I fed them all to the birds. If these plants die on me, that's it for me and blueberries in the high desert.

No comments: