Sunday, February 8, 2009

New snow on the mountains

We didn't get hit with as much snow as predicted, but the peaks outside are now covered in a fresh white layer of snow. Temperatures right now are also cooler than they were yesterday; the current temperature is 46F at 60% humidity at 10:40am local.

The soil is perfect for tilling. I pulled more weeds out. My ocotillo will remain in its pot a while longer, perhaps another month, before I decide where to plant it. The location where the original ocotillo grew has been taken over by the rosemary shrub. The new ocotillo will most likely get a more eastern location in direct sunlight, but the front yard is getting overly crowded for new growth! Anything new that grows this year in the front yard will be strays I've allowed to grow. As for trees go, such as offspring from the palo verde, may have to be sacrificed.

Eventually the two deciduous trees will have to go, especially the more western tree as its trunk was badly damaged in what was perhaps a strong windstorm; its cambium is cracked up to six inches across in some spots and the tree's never regained its vigor compared to its neighbor. Yet as long as it grows leaves in the spring and provided shade for some of the shrubs, I will let it be.

My fig tree is growing new buds already. This may be too early. More frost is expected for another month. I will try to keep my eyes out for it. My nectarine, plum and peach trees are also showing signs of small red buds developing. One of my Blueray shrubs also has its first white blossoms open.

I bought three Southern Highbush Misty blueberries yesterday at WalMart. They were $10 for a quart-sized plant, an average price. Lowe's is also selling blueberries and blackberry shrubs now. It's so tempting to plant but I will wait another month for any rooted plants. My concern for the next month is making sure none of the fruit trees break out into bloom and then get killed off by late frost. That happened last March and I never got one fruit off any of the trees.


Sat
7
OBSERVED

Hi
67°F
Lo
43°F
Precip (in)
0.09in.
-- row 2 --
Today
Hi
49°F
Lo
38°F
Precip
50 %
DaylightRemaining5 hrs29 mins
-- row 2 --
9
Hi
58°F
Lo
41°F
Precip
10 %
Lengthof Day10 hrs56 mins
-- row 2 --
10

Hi
48°F
Lo
29°F
Precip
60 %
Lengthof Day10 hrs57 mins

11
Hi
61°F
Lo
38°F
Precip
0 %
Lengthof Day10 hrs59 mins

12
Hi
66°F
Lo
38°F
Precip
0 %
Lengthof Day11 hrs1 min

13
Hi
59°F
Lo
38°F
Precip
10 %
Lengthof Day11 hrs2 mins

14
Hi
57°F
Lo
38°F
Precip
30 %
Lengthof Day11 hrs4 mins

15
Hi
57°F
Lo
39°F
Precip
10 %
Lengthof Day11 hrs6 mins

16
Hi
64°F
Lo
41°F
Precip
10 %
Lengthof Day11 hrs7 mins

17
Hi
64°F
Lo
41°F
Precip
30 %
Lengthof Day11 hrs9 mins

No comments: