Thursday, March 17, 2011

Getting the garden started

This morning I got the plants that I bought yesterday into the soil. Ten strawberries are sharing a 4x4 raised bed with spinach, another 4x4 bed is sharing red cabbage with beets, and three heirloom tomatoes are now in the large 4x10 bed. I sprinkled marigold seeds around the tomatoes, planted two pea seedlings and a few beet seeds...there should be something coming up by the end of the month.

I used all the compost for that large bed, and it barely covered the surface.

I want to get more basil plants around the tomatoes. I want to use more herbs this year, as a means to help repel insects.

I have the Three Sisters plot solarizing for another two months.

I still have all these bean and tomato seedlings from the germination sets coming up. The tomatoes don't seem to be growing much now anyway. Getting those transplanted will be difficult.

No comments: