Friday, March 18, 2011

Planting more beds

Today was another busy day tilling, drenching, mixing and sowing seeds in three beds and one large one. More cabbage, beans,tomatoes, spinach and beets were planted. Everything that I bought yesterday got planted and then seeds were added. I spotted cabbage moths as soon as cabbage was planted in the soil. But otherwise the soil itself was free of any grubs or other larvae.

Kevin went to the local transfer station to pick up a truckload of mulch for $15 and came back shortly afternoon with a truckload of very good stuff. It's good enough to use as a soil. His co-workers swear by this stuff. We'll go back and get a second load in a few months.

I took many breaks as the sun was hot, and by mid afternoon I could feel my lips were chapped and the top of my head sunburned. I was tired and exhausted. Kevin will do the last big bed for me tomorrow while I'm taking a state exam.

I planted nasturtiums around the apricot and peach trees. The flowers allegedly repel aphids up trees. The eastern beds will get done before the monsoon. Right now the beds are solarizing. The western beds will be enough for us for the next few months. I still have the many containers to get done, the trash to clean up, the dead grass to remove. There's a lot that needs to be done in the back yard.

No comments: