Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A beautiful spring day!

It shot up near 80 today and that prompted me to place some of the germination sets out in real sunlight and turn the lamps off inside. The beans are already about six inches tall. I planted a good 20 new plants this afternoon.

I have to prep the raised beds this weekend.

My apricot, rose shrub and Chinese date trees are all budding.

I cut off all the mushy cactus pads from the frost-damaged cacti and removed the dead ice plant around the house. In some areas the entire plants were dead, and not just the top foilage. I'm not sure I'm going to replace the ice plant with anything.

I ordered a leaf blower-vacuum that I plan on using in the front yard to suck up all the dead leaves come time to prep the front yard for new growth! I don't have any major plans for this year of planting new stuff. What I do need to do is trim all the shrubs of their dead twigs and stuff. There's been more frost damage than at first expected: the oleander against the east wall of the house and the bottle brush shrub all look frost damaged.

No comments: