Sunday, March 20, 2011

More plants in

Yesterday and today I worked on the large cinderbox bed, the last of the beds on the western side. The soil was heavily clay, so I spent a good time tilling the soil and removing some rather large rocks from its depth, a few larger than a skull. I added some of the "mulch" and planted four cabages, a row of beets, some spinach, and today added four green beans, more beets, and tilled some more. The hot sun yesterday tired me out, and today I only worked for about an hour before I stopped and took the dogs on a walk instead. The wind started picking up, filling the air with sand, and that's when I called it a day.

Something already found my red cabbage plants, though, and many of the leaves have been chewed off. I dropped some cayenne sauce on the leaves to thwart off any rabbits from eating the red cabbage (the white cabbage was left intact).

We are now in the windy spring season. I will hold off from planting any more seedlings outside for a while.

No comments: