Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Aphids!

Yellow aphids have attacked my oleanders on the eastern perimeter AND my little peach tree. Right now I'm getting rid of them organically, with a high-pressure garden hose at close range. Today will be the fourth day I will have done this method, each day decreasing the amount of aphids on the plants. There also seems to be white mealy mites on some of the same plants infected with the aphids.

Otherwise we seem to have little insects so far. But the growing season is young! We seem to finally have a decent garden coming up, with tomatoes growing fruit and our first beans coming up. Kevin planted so many more new seeds in peet containers: beans, turnips, beets and even lettuce will go into the eastern garden, that new plot he prepped last weekend. Planting will begin in early June, so that the plants will benefit from the monsoon as they are strong enough to handle heavy rains.

My spinach is really growing nicely this year. I think this is the best year yet for spinach.

No comments: