Sunday, May 22, 2011

Prepping the east garden

Kevin continued to prep more of the eastern garden, spreading out steer manure and mulch. His rows of turnips, beans and beets are slowly sprouting.

This afternoon I jet-sprayed yellow aphids off the young oleander shrubs on the east fence. The young peach tree also had black ones. I didn't see any aphids on the other fruit trees, and this is the first time in two years I've had aphids.

My grapefruit tree is showing four fruit growing, the same tree that shows trunk damage to its outer cambrium.

Otherwise, the spinach is slowly coming up. I trimmed down one plant for a salad and a few days later new leaves had come up. I may finally have a steady growth of baby spinach!

I also planted a few more potato skins; I have two plants coming up that way.

I also transplanted the rescued cucumber plant into the large bed behind the pine tree. This was the plant I dug up from the compost tumbler a few months ago.

Tomatoes are also filling in. Today they all received some 30-30-30 fertilizer to blossom more. The bush beans are also slowly dropping fruit. Can't wait to eat the first tomatoes, but I think that won't be till the monsoon hits.

The white cabbage is also coming in nicely. We should have our first heads at the end of June.

It was very windy and dry today, with smoke from the Chiricahua hazing out the eastern sky.

No comments: