Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Our first peppers

The pepper plants that overwintered are the first plants to grow fruit this time around. The lone tomato plant that overwintered is also growing nicely and is flowering, but no fruit yet. The tomatoes outside are all doing well, though, and it seems that more beans are sprouting despite the occassional bird killings.

Our oleander shrubs are all growing new branches from the root base. Next month I'll trim them all down to an even six feet so that all plants are at the same height. I don't want to cut them down to a foot tall as then we loose privacy.

The strawberries are doing well, two are dying off but I think that may be from the cat peeing there. The rest are doing fine. Maybe I should fertilize them some more and give them more shade.

I have the first snow peas frozen in the freezer as now I'm waiting for the beans to fruit.

I think my orange honeysuckle vine is dead. It should be growing new vines by now but sofar there is nothing. And the bottlebrush is as dead as can be. Both cactus are now dried skeletons in the front yard. I'll replace those later this year.

The palm tree is coming back now. Despite the heavy winds these last two days it didn't lose any fronds.

I trimmed the jasmine vine down to its living vines; most of the shrub was dead anyway and the new growth just grew over the dead stuff.

We desperately need rain. We should be at least 6" for this year and we haven't even made it to half that much.

No comments: