Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bugs


The monsoon's taken a bit of a break this week. It was over 100F again yesterday and even I was suffering with the dogs.

But this lack of rain also is keeping the bugs away, sort of. This morning, however, I noticed that my beaver cactus was infected with the cactus bug Chelinidea vittiger aequoris. Most of the pads are already showing lighter circular spots on the cactus joints (pads), something I noted before I went on my road trip but never saw any bugs or insects on them. I sprayed the cactus down with my garden hose set on jetspray, the bugs returned, and then applied a fly/mosquito repellent containing Permethrin on the infected pads. That seems to have slowed down the wet bugs but I know that's not the best defense. I may have to remove the severely-infected pads to prevent the disease that's causing the discoloration from spreading. What a shame, as the cactus showed phenomenal growth this year whereas the other cactus still has its two pads from last year without new growth this year.

http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/beneficial/c_v_aequoris01.htm

I also transplanted my Iraqi acacia into a larger pot, removed the stray Texas mountain laurel (reluctantly, but otherwise the additional root growth would have sacrificed one of the plants).

The monsoon has taken a break this year. Things are starting to wilt in the garden without additional water. It's already 82F at 8am with 45%. We may get a sprinkle...

No comments: