Tuesday, July 28, 2009

County Extension office

Yesterday morning I stopped by the county extension office to volunteer for two hours as a Master Gardener. It felt so good to be back, and Joyce, the manager there, was also happy.

"It's so good for you to stop by!" said Joyce. I really like the people who work in that office, and I also really like learning more about gardening. I would love to take horticultural classes at the county college but they are only offered to the prison inmates out in Douglas.

There are only two full-time volunteers there Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I will try to put in one day a week there, preferably Mondays, to help with the backlog. People were leaving messages a week ago that no one got to! Other callers were hard to get back to, wouldn't answer, or the phone numbers didn't work.

I answered a question about tree suckers and health of Navajo Globe willows before my old mentor, Jim, came in for his 1pm shift.

No comments: