Sunday, July 26, 2009

Cleaning up the back yard

Kevin started cleaning the patio at 7am, two hours ago. "Gotta do it while it's still cool" he said. He's still working back there. I seldom see him so diligently.

I will start on planting more Bermuda grass seeds where the boards have for months killed off the weedy growth underneath. There are still too many bald spots in the yard that should have filled in with new grass growth.

The orange honeysuckle that I transplanted two days ago seems to have taken; it's not showing any wilt. The seedless mulberry tree, however, may have suffered from taproot damage when I moved the pot and noticed that six inches of tap root had snaked through the drainage hole on the bottom and grown into the soil. I had to move that pot because it's too close to the house and that tree could potentially grow into a large tree.

I also transplanted four strawberry offshots from two mother plants. At this rate next year's yield will double. I still have berries growing on the Quinalts.

The lime tree in the front, in its small black five-gallon pot, got added soil to its pot. That should help the little guy grow a little better.

No comments: